Summer: Ages 4-Grade 5
Summer Explorers Club is a flexible, full-day childcare program for children age 4 - grade 5.
Featuring a variety of indoor and outdoor recreational activities and weekly field trips, the Minnetonka Explorers Club Summer program ensures your child will have a fun, active summer. Throughout the summer, children will participate in a wide variety of activities such as art, music, science projects, cooking, games, writing, reading, crafts, outdoor play, computers, practicing social skills, gym time, dramatic play, and much more! There is a balance of activity options that includes large group, small group, and individual choices.
Through our flexible enrollment options, Explorers allows you to select the weeks and days you need childcare. Minimum enrollment is 10 days throughout the summer.
Here are some helpful things to remember as you plan your child's summer at Explorers:
- Sign in/Sign out: Children will need to be signed in and out by a parent each day. Please take time to do this, as it ensures the safety of each child. If someone else is picking up your child, please call your site or leave a note for staff. Also, bring your ID - we will be verifying your identification until we get to know all parents and alternative pick-up people. Please remember that Explorers Club closes at 6 pm each day. If you cannot pick up your child by this time, please make arrangements for your child to be picked up by someone else. A late fee of $10 is charged for every 5 minutes (or portion thereof) that parents are late picking up a child. After the third instance, childcare services may be suspended or terminated. Thank you for keeping this in mind.
- Lunch: Please bring a cold lunch with a beverage each day and place it on the lunch cart when signing in. We will refrigerate lunches. Be sure your child’s name is on the lunch, so they can find it on the cart! Milk will be available for 45¢.
- Take-A-Break Lunch: Twice each month, your child will have the opportunity to order a hot lunch. This summer our orders will come from Tino’s Pizza, Great Harvest, Famous Dave’s BBQ, and others. Please watch for the lunch registration forms in your child’s mailbox. We will only be able to honor those requests turned in by the due date listed. This will be a special break from cold lunch!
- T-Shirts: Children will receive an Explorers Club t-shirt to wear on field trip days and beach days. We require these shirts for the safety and easy recognition of children in our groups.
- Field Trips: Weekly field trips provide exciting opportunities for children to engage in experienced-based learning and fun activities throughout the Twin Cities. Field trips are scheduled to Valleyfair, Circus Juventas, water parks, a Twins game, a theater performance, Sea Life, Como Zoo and others. Summer Explorers also go to an area park for a Field Day once or twice each summer. If you would like to join us as a chaperone on a field trip, please let us know. We would love to have you along!
- Beach Trips: Beach day will be on Tuesday afternoons (Deephaven) or Wednesday afternoon (Scenic Heights) for children entering grades 1-5. Please send a swimsuit, towel and sunscreen. (You may want to send this daily for water play.) Explorers will provide a tote bag for your child’s swimsuit and towel. Please sign the sunscreen permission slip that will allow your child to apply sunscreen whenever outdoors. Children in the Junior/Kindergarten program will have outdoor water play on Wednesday afternoons.
- Family Events: We welcome all family members to join us in June for our Ice Cream Social and again in August for the End of Summer Family Picnic! Meet your child’s friends and other Explorers families during these fun events.
- Summer Staff: We are excited to welcome back all of our staff this summer! Your children will be happy to see favorite faces returning this summer. Staff are busy planning the best summer Explorers experiences ever! Please let us know if your child is going to summer school, camp, an MCE class or is being picked up at a different time for a doctor’s appointment, birthday party, etc. You may leave notes in the communication log on the check in table. If your child needs medication at Explorers Club, please fill out and sign a medicine release form for us to administer the medication. We will keep the medication in a locked medicine chest. We can only dispense medication with a doctor’s prescription.
Add-a-Day: In an effort to be more flexible, currently enrolled Explorers children have the option of adding a day for which they are not currently scheduled. Care is available on a space available basis, and requests must be received at least 24 hours in advance. Please contact your child’s site with your request. There is an additional $4 charge for the day
Please feel free to share any ideas, suggestions or concerns with Carol Solheid, Program Manager. We value your input and we want your child to have a fun, exciting summer with us!